Monday, October 17, 2011

Modern Day "Fatalism"

“Fatalistic” God
I'm sure I could sit here all day with you guys and list and discuss ways in which modern cultural is "fatalistic" (as defined by the Greeks). Even Christians today can have a "fatalistic" view of their God at times as the Greek's did with their Gods.

I would like to take a look at some questions I have asked myself many times in my life as well as outside my own life that demonstrates this "fatalistic" view that was displayed by the Greeks.

"God, can You hear me? Where are You when I need You the most? And Why do bad things happen to good people?" I could go on, but I think you know exactly what I mean as these are all questions we have asked at some point in our lives.

Habakkuk 1:2,13 (paraphrased)

How long, O Lord, must I call for help? But you do not listen! "Violence is everywhere!" I cry, but You do not come to save......But You are pure and cannot stand the sight of evil. Will You wink at their treachery? Should You be silent while the wicked swallows up people more righteous than they?"

Sound familiar? Perfect view of a "fatalistic" Christian feeling and thought that still applies today.

God created us with free will and the freedom to choose good or evil, right or wrong. God knew we needed to have the freedom to choose even though it would cause some injustice to the innocence. The Greeks knew and experienced this feeling in their own times as well have many people all the way throughout history. We live in a fallen and unfair world which at times makes it very easy to have a "fatalistic" view of our world and God. We feel abandoned, ignored, not good enough, not connected and as if we are being punished for our past mistakes. We feel that sometimes God is not personal, loving, compassionate, and forgiving. We feel the pain of injustice or what we feel is unfair. We even ask these questions and feel this way as the Greek did when it comes to our judicial system and political system even down to our everyday work environment. "Fatalism" in the modern world, as defined by the Greeks, is very much alive now as it was then. All we can do is put our faith in God's plan and our hope in His promise to redeem our fallen world if we wish to change this Greek "fatalistic" view that lingers on today. God loves you!


No comments:

Post a Comment